Placement of power section components in rebuild

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

Placement of power section components in rebuild

Post by pjd3 »

Hi folks, first time posting pics, hope it goes well.

This is the chassis of my Bogner Alchemist. I decided to use it for a Sluckey 6V6 plexi build since it had a PT and OT that I could make work for it.

Per normal, I placed the board opposite end of transformers and popped a few holes for the 3 12ax7's in fairly close proximity to the board where signal wires can be kept short.

What I'm mulling over is prudent locations for:
a. The Power Tubes (2 6V6's)
b. The GZ34 rectifier tube socket
c. A 120vac/5vac transformer for the GZ34 filament.
d. The 2 cap cans for power filter.

Those are my main ruminations. Things like power switches, standby, fuse holder, terminal lugs, heater runs I'm confident will find a reasonable location in the chassis. I'll need to put the pics in the next post but one pic shows the PT and OT underneath while you can see the location of things inside the chassis. I was hoping that would be telling of where things are already, and where the "open spaces" for putting others things are.
I have a few of my own ideas where to place things but, still questioning myself on what I think would be the best. I'm sure I have some choices but was interested in where you might put things. There certainly seems to be enough room for everything which I'm grateful for. My first and only amp build pretty much spelled out where things would go but, this one is open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Phil D - I'll work on getting a few photos next post - the "insert image" button didn't work like I thought it would.
I’m only one person (most of the time)
joeboo88

Re: Placement of power section components in rebuild

Post by joeboo88 »

Good luck with your build.
What size is the chassis?
The way Steve laid out his components is top notch, if you can imitate that you would be well off.
Or look at other pictures of Marshall type amps to get an idea.
Yeah pictures will be good...
Peace.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

You first need to click on the 'attachments' link below. See my attached screenshots.
addfiles.png
Then click "Add Files"

it should popup the usual file select thing, and you can select an image to add. Then once saved, you can click the 'Place Inline' with the cursor somewhere specific you want your picture to show up (like i did above)

and then the final picture below show's that
showtheinline.png
~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oddly enough, I got errors trying to post my images, so I'm wondering if there was some problem with the site. I deleted some older backup but it may be that the hosting provider is hitting a limit on the files it allows. The files directory (uploads) has 40Gb of data and 85k files in it. It may be reaching a limit of the hosting provider's allowed limits for the site. Allyn would be the one to control/know this, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him recently.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks Phil for stopping by on that.

Can you tell me where that "Attachment" and "Options" tabs come up? Where are they or, where do they come from?

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to make them appear!

Thanks Phil

pjd3
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Odd, they're there on my 'post a reply' page every time.

maybe your browser has something bugged? try a different browser?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks Phil, I pretty much use Google for most things.

Can you tell me specifically where that attachment tab is? At the top above or below something else? I'm just not even sure where to look for it on the page. (although if it was there, I'd probably see it)

Thanks,
PJD3
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

pjd3 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:10 pm Thanks Phil, I pretty much use Google for most things.

Can you tell me specifically where that attachment tab is? At the top above or below something else? I'm just not even sure where to look for it on the page. (although if it was there, I'd probably see it)

Thanks,
PJD3
Can you see my attached screenshots above. They're in the normal reply field or create post field where you'd put in your comments, Just below the [Save draft][Preview][Submit] buttons there are the [Options][Attachemnts] tabs.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

For AmpG 3 pos.JPG
For AmpG 2 pos.JPG
OK, thank you Phil, I think I've finally got it.
So hopefully you will be able to see enough of the top and bottom to make out where things are and what is available for space. Those open holes you see are the original holes for tubes to pop through and are too large for sockets. But, if they turn out to be still good locations for tube sockets I can create sheet metal plates to rework over them.

If necessary, I can move things around but figured since this amp was previously designed by some industry people and companies, that the locations of the transformers and choke had been hashed out by a team of knowledable design engineers and techs during its R@D phases.

As mentioned, I will need to add a transformer for rectifier heaters, locate the 2 power tubes and 2 cap cans.

Hey, thank you for your patience and taking time to take a look!

Best,
PJD3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Just an added thing, What I did was remove the original front plastic panel and replace it with a .040" sheet of anodized aluminum. In the interest of spreading out the cost of this over time I'm working from the input section to the power section and ordering parts and making new holes for pots, tube sockets and things as I move toward the power section, one end to the other.

Thats how I did my first single channel Fender Vibroverb build and it worked for me. That's why things may look a little odd at first glance!

PJD3
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'd definitely use the area near the PT and OT for the power tubes, the rectifier and the filter caps. That's the higher current/higher noise area. It will keep it from impacting the preamp area.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks Phil,

I've been pondering whats should be away from the pre section and what can be closer for wire dressing economy. My suspicion is that anything that is still HV AC is suspect to be a noise/buzz threat and to keep it as far as possible from the low level signal areas.

Hey Phil, would you say its accurate to think that once the HV leaves the big filter caps its less prone to causing buzz and noise issues? My intuitions tell me that is so being that there is less AC inducing flux flying around because its DC now. I ask because it seems that having the power tubes more near the board might not be as bad because its rectified AC greeting the plates.

So, unless recommended differently, I'll keep the high V AC stuff as close to the power transformer as possible, and away from anything signal.

Sound good?

Thank you very much,
PJD3
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

pjd3 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm Thanks Phil,

I've been pondering whats should be away from the pre section and what can be closer for wire dressing economy. My suspicion is that anything that is still HV AC is suspect to be a noise/buzz threat and to keep it as far as possible from the low level signal areas.

Hey Phil, would you say its accurate to think that once the HV leaves the big filter caps its less prone to causing buzz and noise issues? My intuitions tell me that is so being that there is less AC inducing flux flying around because its DC now. I ask because it seems that having the power tubes more near the board might not be as bad because its rectified AC greeting the plates.

So, unless recommended differently, I'll keep the high V AC stuff as close to the power transformer as possible, and away from anything signal.

Sound good?

Thank you very much,
PJD3
that is generally true yes, but they still can contain some hum. It's best to run them away from signal wires as best you can and when they need to cross, make it at right angles to reduce the impact.

Generally the AC lines like transformer windings etc are the most hum inducing, though.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

One more concern that I'd like to hear some ideas about is installing the 120vac/5vac rectifier tube filament transformer. I know its not generating any large voltages, its a pretty aggressive step down but, it will be emanating something since it is a 120vac transformer.

What concerns would you have about what it can be near, or what it should be distant from , and what angular orientation it best be from particular transformers and components?

Thank you!

PJD3
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

A tube rectifier is not important to the Plexi sound. Marshall used diodes on the real thing. I would have used diodes too if my PT did not have a 5V winding.

Two diodes = 10 cents. 5v transformer, GZ34, tube socket = a lot more money + a lot of real estate.