New 3-channel amp build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lauri

New 3-channel amp build

Post by Lauri »

My latest build is a 3 channel 35W guitar amp with tremolo and digital delay. I used Electro-Smith Daisy Seed for channel switching and for the delay effect.

First channel and the power amp are pretty much the same as on my Echosonic build. Second channel is a bit different from usual. EF86 is used to split the signal in two. Treble frequencies are taken from the plate and bass frequencies from the screen grid. After treble and bass pots the signal is summed back together in a 12AU7 stage. Third channel is fairly usual stuff with a TMB tonestack. Tremolo is a power tube bias wiggle tremolo where the LFO is done with a BJT.

Sound sample:
http://ghr.fi/audio/etuastetesti_r4_session.flac

https://github.com/Laurivu/threechan
Steveo

Re: New 3-channel amp build

Post by Steveo »

Wow looks awesome! and very complicated :shock:
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Damn......
bepone

Post by bepone »

impressive.. is that really needed? :lol:

did you realised increased attack on strings when using Toroid for the main tranformer? this is the reason i have quit with them long ago.. sound was just jumping out "before time", it was annoying so i have replaced all toroids with normal EI over time and fixed that "problem".
i mean strat was sounding like telecaster because increased attack speed, jumping out from the speaker too fast!
rdrinkwater

Post by rdrinkwater »

Wow, amazing work.

Am I right that you're using KiCad? Would you consider sharing the source files?
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Great job! Did you build the PCB yourself?
Lauri

Post by Lauri »

bepone wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:41 am did you realised increased attack on strings when using Toroid for the main tranformer? this is the reason i have quit with them long ago.. sound was just jumping out "before time", it was annoying so i have replaced all toroids with normal EI over time and fixed that "problem".
i mean strat was sounding like telecaster because increased attack speed, jumping out from the speaker too fast!
I've never noticed any difference between Toroidial and EI transformer as long as the secondary voltage and current ratings are similar. I work for a small amp company and there we've built the same models of amps with EI and toroidial transformers and they've always sounded the same.

rdrinkwater wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am Am I right that you're using KiCad? Would you consider sharing the source files?
Littlewyan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm Great job! Did you build the PCB yourself?
I designed the PCB using KiCad. I will upload the source files to my Github repository once KiCad 6 is released. In KiCad 6 all the symbols are embedded in the schematic file and PCB footprints can be exported to a single file, it makes sharing them much more simple.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Lauri wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:44 pm
bepone wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:41 am did you realised increased attack on strings when using Toroid for the main tranformer? this is the reason i have quit with them long ago.. sound was just jumping out "before time", it was annoying so i have replaced all toroids with normal EI over time and fixed that "problem".
I've never noticed any difference between Toroidial and EI transformer as long as the secondary voltage and current ratings are similar. I work for a small amp company and there we've built the same models of amps with EI and toroidial transformers and they've always sounded the same.

rdrinkwater wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am Am I right that you're using KiCad? Would you consider sharing the source files?
Littlewyan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm Great job! Did you build the PCB yourself?
I designed the PCB using KiCad. I will upload the source files to my Github repository once KiCad 6 is released. In KiCad 6 all the symbols are embedded in the schematic file and PCB footprints can be exported to a single file, it makes sharing them much more simple.
yeah to me I've always been confused by the idea that "a straight line of DC power into an amplifier sounds different than a different DC straight line of power into an amplifier.

It's like saying "My truck drives better on gasoline that came from the shell vs the gasoline that came from exxon" Taking out variables of course like "shitty rusted storage containers == bad filtering or crappy elytics" and just based off of the 'source' of the oil itself.

It's power... Either you have it, or you sag it or you don't have it. It can be 'dirty' of course but that means you have problems with filtering, not the PSU itself.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

John Suhr found there was a difference between EI and Toroidial transformers. I believe he heard the difference first and then confirmed it on a spectrum analyzer. But I think it's just one of those things where if you don't hear it, then great, who cares. I have a 20W Marshall Plexi that I built which uses a Toroidial transformer and it sounds great. Maybe if I changed it to an EI transformer I'd hear a difference, but again, it sounds great so I'm not gonna change a thing.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Perhaps the differing copper and iron loss characteristics lead to differing regulation (sag) behaviour?
I guess a toroid could me made somewhat closer to the ‘ideal’.
Whereas the sound of electric guitar has been defined by amplifiers whose performance is the result of design and components that fall someway short of such an ideal.
bepone

Post by bepone »

i was using toroid PT's and OT's for the hi-gain metal amps but attack produced form the amp on the note was too fast - not ok, abandoned , replaced all with EI, problem gone so i think something was in the core was or N/turns calculation...
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I think he saw differing levels of harmonics. It was briefly discussed in an earlier thread. I think there’s a thread on another forum where he goes into more detail.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21271
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Very nice, complicated to me :D where's your Champ amp?