Replace overdrive pedal with real tube?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Speedypancake

Replace overdrive pedal with real tube?

Post by Speedypancake »

How could I use a single unused 12AX7 tube in my Soldano Clone as an overdrive pedal?

The Rosamp Soldano clone overdrive already sounds awesome. But whenever I plug my old Guyatone overdrive pedal in, even at really low gain settings I just love the way it seems to tighten everything up and add a bit of extra sizzle.

I replaced the stock tube loop with a more versatile solid state circuit which has left me with a spare 12ax7 just sitting there with nothing to do. Can you help me turn it into a simple overdrive circuit to replace the Guyatone pedal??

Cheers
Stevem

Re: Replace overdrive pedal with real tube?

Post by Stevem »

Since your now unused tube is somewhere down stream of the first gain stage of the amp if you implement what your thinking of doing you will more then likely have a oscillating monster on your hands, especially if you only use one section of that tube since that will change the phase of the whole amp .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Speedypancake

Post by Speedypancake »

Thanks, but don't worry too much about the placement. It's all hand-wired, so even though it's physically near the middle of the chassis, I reckon I'll tie it into the current 1st stage ht feed, with decent screened signal cable we should be OK :)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Speedypancake wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:39 am Can you help me turn it into a simple overdrive circuit to replace the Guyatone pedal??
Guyatone tube pedal? There are a couple of versions: https://juggbox.blog.jp/archives/15803877.html
Speedypancake

Post by Speedypancake »

Thanks Martin - that looks like a great place to start :)
neskor

Post by neskor »

I moded my Guyatone TD-1 pedal and now sounds great in front of the Marshall Plexi.
Replaced ECC83 with ECC82 and removed cliping diodes and replaced 470pF capacitor with resistor.
Schematic looks something like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speedypancake

Post by Speedypancake »

Thanks Neskor. Do you have any audio / video clips of the results of that mod??
neskor

Post by neskor »

Speedypancake wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:45 pm Thanks Neskor. Do you have any audio / video clips of the results of that mod??
Unfortunately not :(
you can try, you will not be disappointed for sure